Answers to usability
11. The pronunciation of a word can be different if it is standing alone or in a sentence context.
It can occur in particular cases that the pronunciation of a word is different if it is read out alone as a single word or on the other hand in a sentence context. This is related to the Voice Reader Studio text to speech technology. We have specified it here. In general it may help to create a dictionary entry for the word with an orthographic or phonetic transcription
12. Distortions and interruptions occur when using the voice output
If distortions or interruptions occur during voice output, the processing speed of the hard disk is not fast enough. The voice output implemented in Voice Reader Studio 15 is based on dynamic processing. No more than 200 MB can be loaded into the memory at once. No more than this can be processed dynamically. The data for voice output are however very large. If the hard disk does not have the corresponding resources to be able to process the data fast enough, a possible consequence is “stuttering” of the voice output. This behavior is rectified by a faster hard disk.
- This can often be achieved by regular defragmentation of the hard disk. Fragmented areas of memory are then put back together. This makes data processing faster again.
- Please ensure that the Voice Reader Studio 15 program directory has been selected as a trusted directory in your antivirus software. Otherwise antivirus processes will regularly access it and also slow down data processing.
- As a test, close all other applications apart from Voice Reader Studio 15 and compare the behavior.
- Ensure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements for Voice Reader Studio 15.
13. The graphical user interface is not displayed as usual anymore or reading aloud is not possible anymore (but worked before)
Perhaps you obtain the message “Voice Reader Studio 15 Edit is not working anymore”.
Please delete the xml files of ‘Voice Reader Studio 15’. They will be regenerated by the application within its next start.
The folder under which they can be found depends which installation options you had chosen.
If you installed for all users: C:\ProgramData\Linguatec\VoiceReaderStudio15\Data\Layout
If you installed for the current user: C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Linguatec\VoiceReaderStudio15\Data\Layout
If you can’t find the folder ProgramData, please ensure that in the folder “Options” of your Explorer (on the tab “View“) the setting for hiding files and folders is set to “Off“.
Please check further on in the Task Manager, that no process of ‘Voice Reader Studio 15’ is still running. If yes, please close the processes manually and restart the application.
14. Automatically reading of multi-lingual vocabulary lists with the help of Voice Reader Studio 15
What you need: Voice Reader Studio 15 German with the multi-lingual voice Anna-ML.
(Or: Voice Reader Studio 15 French with the multi-language voice Audrey-ML or Voice Reader Studio 15 Italian with the voice Alice-ML)
The multi-language voices have knowledge in German, British English, French, Spanish and Italian. )
Follow these instructions:
Please open Voice Reader Studio 15 and enter a term in the required language, e.g. English. Then select the German multi-language voice Anna-ML. Mark the English term and select “Insert Voice Markup ” > “Language (only for ML- voice ) ” > “English ( British ) ” > “OK” .
The voice markup consists of two parts. There is a start tag, which is followed by the term and it ends with an end tag behind it.
Example: <Lang=eng/>English vocabulary<Lang=END_eng/>
Please open your multi-lingual vocabulary spreadsheet in Microsoft Word. We assume you have a two-column table with column 1 (= English text) and column 2 (= German Text).
|aromatic fish chowder
||Fischsuppe mit Gewürzen
||Omelette mit Spargelspitzen
Now insert in Word
- a new, blank column on the left (right mouse button > insert > insert left) and
- a new, empty column on the right (right mouse button > insert > insert right) of the desired column (in this case the column with the English terms).
- Select and mark the entire column on the left and paste into it automatically the start tag of the voice markup – which you created previously in the editor of Voice Reader Studio 15. (e.g. for British English: <Lang=eng/> )
- Select and mark the column on the right and paste into it automatically the end tag of the voice markup (e.g. for British English: <Lang=END_eng/>)
The table now might look like this:
||aromatic fish chowder
||Fischsuppe mit Gewürzen
||Omelette mit Spargelspitzen
Copy and paste the table from Word into the editor of Voice Reader Studio 15 and let it be read out for you. Make sure to have selected a multi-language voice.
15. End of line is end of sentence
Voice Reader Studio 15 has a versatile editor with formatting options and therefore the use of line brakes has influence on the reading segmentation of Voice Reader Studio 15.
A line break can be initiated by a hard line return or a soft return / line feed.
- A soft return / line feed is generated when pressing the Shift key simultaneously with the Enter key. If the displaying of the formatting characters in the text is active, the soft return is visualized by the symbol ¬ .
A soft return will be interpreted as end of sentence (and will therefore cause a pause) when the reading segmentation is set to: “by sentence” (“Reading” tab – group “Settings” – button “Options ” – Section “Reading Options” – Read and highlight text: by sentence)
Soft returns / line feeds won’t influence the reading, when the reading option “by paragraph” is active.
- A hard line return is generated when pressing simply the Enter key. It is displayed as: ¶
A hard line return is interpreted in Voice Reader Studio 15 generally as end of sentence.
16. How can line breaks be removed automatically in a text document?
If you want to have read out a text document in which hard line returns are used at the end of the lines and you want to avoid that the end of the line is interpreted as end of sentence (see also FAQ “end of line is end of sentence”) you can remove them automatically with the following steps.
Please select the whole text (CTRL+A), copy it with CTRL+C into the clipboard and paste it into the Editor of Windows (Start – All Programs – Accessories – Notepad) via Ctrl+V.
Please save your text as HTML document (File – Save As – Save as type: All Files – File Name:. <*Filename>.html). Now open the HTML document in Voice Reader Studio 15 (“File” tab – button: “Open”) and let it be read out to you.